Tuesday, April 26, 2011

'DWTS': Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff on that fall, and those 'Karate Kid' moves!

Beware of The Coat! No, a mysterious, cloaked villain didn’t hit the dance floor of Dancing with the Stars on Monday, but Ralph Macchio’s cumbrous attire was responsible for a surprise “attack” on Karina Smirnoff during their Paso Doble. Performing, appropriately enough, to C&C Music Factory’s “Gonna Make You Sweat,” the couple fumbled early when Macchio’s coat got in Smirnoff’s way and she tumbled to the ground.
“I let out a few tears back there from embarrassment. But I’m okay,” Smirnoff told reporters afterwards. “I think that good things come from accidents.”

They did, actually: The couple earned 24 out of 30 points and high praise from the judges, who commended Smirnoff for recovering so quickly. “It was only maybe five seconds all together, but at that point the only thing going through my mind was that oh, gosh, I fell down and I need to get back up,” said Smirnoff. “I’m not supposed to mess up, I’m supposed to be there for Ralph 100 percent. I didn’t even think about the judges. When the judges gave us a great score and said that he was there the whole time and he picked me up, he was the perfect partner. That says a lot about [Ralph] as a man and as a dancer.”
“It’s a love fest,” Macchio continued. “We care about each other.”
As for Macchio’s decision to perform his iconic wax on/wax off from The Karate Kid, the 49-year-old actor said he gave it a lot of thought before bringing Mr. Miyagi’s moves to the dance floor. “I’m so protective of the Karate Kid stuff. I’ve been asked do the [movie ending] crane kick since day one!” said Macchio. “For me, that’s a move for the climax. This is a move for the training process. I’m at week six. I wanted to frame it in a dance that made sense. If I put this in a waltz…how about the rumba? It doesn’t work. This was the dance for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment