Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mental block for Nadal

Rafael Nadal believes he needs to overcome a mental block against new Wimbledon champion Novak Djovokic.
The Serb appears to have a hold over Nadal, with Djokovic having followed up final victories at Indian Wells,
Miami, Madrid and Rome with a 6-4 6-1 1-6 6-3 victory at the All England Club.
That has helped see Djokovic replace Nadal at the top of the world rankings and the Spaniard admitted his rival has had the edge in the big points.
"When I was 100% to play, I lost against him five times," said Nadal. "The rest of the year I won almost every match. So I'm doing things very well, but probably not against him. That's what I have to change.
"Probably the mental part is a little bit dangerous for me, because when I was at 5-4 (in the first set), I played a bad game from 30-0. When I was 4-3 down in the fourth set, I played another bad game with my serve.
"To win these kind of matches, I have to play well (at those moments). These kind of points can change the match.
"When I had the break point in the first game of the fourth set, I didn't play that point well. That was a big moment for me. Because I came back with the 6-1, if I start the fourth with a break it can change everything.
Aggressive
"To change things I probably have to be a little bit less nervous, play more aggressive, and all the time be confident with myself. That's what I'm going to try next time. If not, I'm going to be here explaining the sixth."
Djokovic has now registered 48 victories from 49 matches in a phenomenal season that has also brought him the Australian Open and six ATP World Tour titles.
His only defeat has against Roger Federer in the French Open semi-finals - and Djokovic said: "I managed to achieve a lifetime goal and I managed to make my dream come true, all in three days.
"It's just an incredible feeling that I'm never going to forget. This is the best day of my tennis career.
"For these kind of days, I was practising every day, being dedicated, being a tennis professional. Any athlete in the world dreams of being number one. This is something that gives us a lot of motivation.
"So finally when you really do it and when you know that you're the best, it's just an amazing achievement."

No comments:

Post a Comment