Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Jane Russell: your memories

One of the most popular sex symbols of the 1940s and 50s, Jane Russell, has died in California.
She starred in Hollywood films such as The Paleface and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, alongside luminaries Bob Hope and Marilyn Monroe.
She was also heavily involved in charity work and through her organisation, World Adoption International Fund (WAIF), helped thousands of children find adoptive homes.
BBC News website readers have been sending their tributes and memories of the formidable pin-up.
I got to see Jane Russell last year for the first and only time when she appeared as a special guest at the Coronado Arts Ball in San Diego.
She was funny and feisty and even sang a tune. She had been performing regularly in a dinner show at the Radisson Hotel in Santa Maria, California where she lived.
She said the most common question asked of her was who was the best kisser in Hollywood. Her response? "Bob Hope - those blubbery lips - oh my God!"
At this year's Coronado Arts Ball, my lady friend bid on and won a personally signed photograph of Jane Russell from Howard Hughes' infamous movie, The Outlaw, which she gave to me.
I cherish it all the more now that Ms Russell has permanently left the stage.
I remember meeting Jane as a very young, very junior and very temporary bar assistant at the Broadway Club, Failsworth, Manchester where she appeared for one night only.
It was so long ago (I'm guessing approximately 1969) it should have disappeared into history but for the way she treated me - at the time an extremely callow youth.
She did, however, and most graciously, save my blushes when I was given the task of serving her refreshments backstage - twice.
She was appearing in a backwater compared to Hollywood but her professional attitude and demeanour varied not a jot from what I had seen on the big screen.
I'm sure she will be missed by those privileged enough to have known her.

No comments:

Post a Comment