Monday, January 31, 2011

Super Bowl XLV notes: Steelers could shut down run

Big Ben defensive
Commissioner Roger Goodell was quoted in a story on SI.com that Ben Roethlisberger's teammates didn't come to the quarterback's defense.
When trying to decide on Roethlisberger's punishment for an assault charge that was hanging over his head, Goodell said he spoke with more than 20 Steelers, and none came to the quarterback's defense.
"I don't know exactly what was said, so it's hard to say," Roethlisberger said Monday. "I wasn't there. I know for a fact that when the commissioner came to training camp to talk, a lot of the guys kind of did. I'm just thankful that my teammates are who they are, and I'm really appreciative of it."
Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension at the start of the season, and the Steelers went 3-1.
Containing Rodgers
Because the Steelers allowed a league-low 62.8 yards rushing per game, they should be able to shut down the Packers' running game.
But that means they'll force quarterback Aaron Rodgers to pass, and he's been great in the playoffs.
"I think we'll mix it up," Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. "He's one of the best quarterbacks in the league, so we're going to have to show him a lot of different looks and try to confuse him as best we can.
"I'm sure he's studying tape right now, so he's going to be ready for the things that we've got. We'll have to come up with a few new wrinkles, and I'm sure coach (defensive coordinator Dick) LeBeau is going to have to go back in the archives and come up with a great game plan."
Great tradition
Linebacker LaMarr Woodley was asked about the Steelers' tradition of having terrific linebackers.
"Those guys took me underneath their wing, but I definitely feel like I have to prove myself because I was a defensive end in college," Woodley said about linebackers James Farrior and James Harrison. "I grew up a Pittsburgh fan, probably since the seventh grade. When you think about Pittsburgh, you know about the linebackers and the defense.
"Being drafted by them, you want to be a part of that great legacy. Every day when I'm in the hallway at the facility, I see the great linebackers on the wall, and when I'm done playing, I want to be a part of it and have my picture up there and be remembered as one of the great linebackers in Pittsburgh."
Indoor move?
With a nasty wintry mix headed to North Texas today, the Packers are considering using the indoor practice facility at Highland Park High School near SMU for their workouts this week.
Green Bay's outdoor workouts are supposed to be at SMU's field. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said a decision on whether to move indoors will be made today.

No comments:

Post a Comment