Monday, February 21, 2011

Trade helps Carmelo Anthony's value

I feel like Carmelo Anthony just gave me permission to start the rest of my life.
I mean, I was asked to write this column back in November. At one point, it got to be more than 10,000 words long. At its height, it could have made a decent young adult novel. But now it's over, I got this back down to a digestible size, and I get to find out about a whole lot of things I missed (for instance, my wife is apparently expecting a child in early April).
And while it's not quite the lollapalooza that was originally on the table back around Thanksgiving, still, with 12 players swapping uniforms, Monday night's swap meet still stands as one of the biggest in NBA history. Of course, the dealing isn't even done; the aftershocks of this deal will probably be reverberating across multiple NBA lineups right up to the trade deadline on Thursday.
I'd like to point out that there are some psychological fantasy ramifications as well. I've long believed that there's a trickle-down in fantasy when the NBA "gets busy," so to speak. So this should be a fun next few days to finally get some big deals done. Because if your leagues are like any of mine, trade activity has been a little sluggish, as we've all been waiting for one rather large shoe to drop in the Mile High City.
After months of rumor-mongering (next time this happens, can someone at ESPN please develop an app?), the trade breaks down as such: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Corey Brewer, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman go to the New York Knicks, while Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a first-rounder and two second-rounders go to the Denver Nuggets, and Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry head for parts north, aka the Minnesota Timberwolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment