Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vegas is far from fun and games for 'Idol'

We’re at the point of “American Idol” where the cuts are a lot harder. Everyone in the final 61 presumably has a great voice, superior stage presence, a compelling backstory sure to garner fan support or a combination of the above. Particularly after the Vegas performances and the trimming of the roster to 40, it’s all splitting hairs.
Ten singers found out their semifinal fates on Wednesday’s episode, but the one everyone is talking about is Chris Medina. Medina got a lot of attention during his audition when he told the story of how he's standing by his fiancée after a car accident left her with brain damage and confined to a wheelchair, but he was one of the five cut on Wednesday’s episode.
“I’m just really happy that you guys met her,” Medina said before hearing the verdict. “If you ask her now what was the best time in your life, she’ll tell you Steven Tyler kissed me on the cheek, and I got to shake J.Lo’s hand and I got to meet Randy Jackson.”
That made the judges feel even worse when they let him go. “It honestly breaks my heart to say this, but you did not make it into the top 24,” J.Lo said. Medina took the news calmly. The superstar, as seen in the previews, had a breakdown once he left the room.
“It was hard for me to tell him,” she said.
“You did it the best way possible,” Randy said.
“I just don’t feel like I told him in the right way ... I felt so bad,” she said. “I don’t want to do this any more.”
Next scene was host Ryan Seacrest’s voice-over asking, “Will Jennifer find the strength to continue?” Here’s betting the answer is yes.
As for Medina, he seems like a great guy. He’d have been a good bet to go a long way once the fans started voting, so I’m guessing the judges just didn’t think his vocals were close to being among the best. Perhaps they were afraid his story would carry him farther than his talent would indicate.

1 comment:

  1. The Vegas round was very stressful on the contestants.

    ReplyDelete